If someone you know has been misusing drugs, early intervention is so important. Learning the warning signs can help to protect your family, friends and community.
Physical changes and behavioral signs can be indicators that someone is misusing preciption meds, illegal drugs, vaping, nicotine and pot (marijuana).
Spotting signs in teenagers can be really difficult since they are continually experiencing physical and behavioral changes and mood swings.
- Rapid weight loss
- Increase in fatigue or drowsiness
- Frequent nausea or constipation
- Wearing long sleeves despite the season
- General decline in personal hygiene
- Unexplained absence from school/work
- A drop in grades/work performance
- Loss of interest in hobbies
- Spending less time with friends/family
- Hanging out with a new friend group
In Home Changes
- Missing prescription medications
- Empty pill bottles
- Paraphernalia such as syringes, shoe laces, rubber hose, kitchen spoons, aluminum foil, straws and lighters